Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it onto future generations. George Bernard Shaw

Thursday, October 9, 2008

What the Devil?


So...the Sox are getting ready to roll against the Devil Rays in the ALCS. Yes, I call them the Devil Rays, because I think it's stupid they had to change their name to placate the evangelical community in Tampa-St. Pete. Somehow it hasn't bothered the Duke Blue Devils, the DePaul Blue Demons, the New Jersey Devils, the Wake Forest Demon Deacons or the Arizona State Sun Devils. Maybe it was just to avoid being called Devil Dogs by Jerry Remy, but I find it an amusing comparison in relative power when in a year or two of complaining the religious right can force a team to change its name while decades of lobbying have had no effect on the Braves, the Seminoles, or worst of all, the Redskins. Who is at the cutting edge of political correctness after all? Normally I'm not a big one for team names bugging me, but Redskins is pretty bad. It's a perjorative, like the Boston Honkeys or the New York Kikes or the Atlanta...well, you get the idea.


No comments: