Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it onto future generations. George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Obama in Control

Generally I found much of the debate to be a draw, with little bloodletting by either side. I liked that it was issue-dominated, and we have Jim Lehrer to thank for this. I cringe to think of what we have to look forward to when the network newsies get their chance in the forthcoming debates. I am sure you can count on more personality-driven or scandal-oriented questioning from the chattering classes. Conservatives always try to do away with PBS, but tonight should be in their trophy case of why they are still important (Sesame Street aside!).
When it came to the intangibles, Obama was a clear winner. Cool, calm, in control, the demeanor of a commander in chief. Presidential. McCain seemed irritated and rarely if ever made eye contact with his young whippersnapper (uppity?) opponent. The contrast, in age and physical presence, posture, diction, was vast. This may help explain why so many snap polls indicate a clear victory for Obama even though no serious punches were landed by either side.
At the end of the day, McCain, running from behind, needed Obama to falter, and he certainly didn't.

No comments: