Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it onto future generations. George Bernard Shaw

Monday, September 22, 2008

Ranking Classic 80's Comedies

Because it so desperately needed to be done, the definitive Top Ten classic comedy films of the 1980s:

Honorable mentions: Monty Python's Meaning of Life (not a true comedy), The Blues Brothers (a musical).

10. When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Stylistically more of a 90's movie (the 80's ended culturally in 1988), and yes, I've grown a mangina, this is an achingly funny movie and has classic performances from Meg Ryan and Bruno Kirby. Billy Crystal's best-ever effort with a nod to City Slickers. "Give it to me Sheldon."

9. Spies Like Us (1985)
Chevy Chase and Dan Ackroyd are perfect here. "There's a thousand dollars in there, or...maybe there isn't." You'd be surprised at how well this holds up.

8. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
You could lump the franchise in here, as there are quality moments from each installment. But this is the granddaddy, including some of Chevy Chase's finest moments. Not to mention a skinnydipping Christie Brinkley at the peak of her powers.

7. Spaceballs (1987)
Could have put Airplane! here, but this is more quotably classic. From ludicrous speed to combing the desert, you know all the lines. And my Schwartz is bigger than yours, by the way.

6. Back to School (1986)
An underappreciated Rodney Dangerfield. This movie, or at least his performance, is funnier now than it was 20 years ago. Thornton Mellon!

5. Fletch (1985)
6'5", 6'9" with the afro. Chevy Chase at his smarmy best.

4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Every male my age knows about the Phoebe Cates bikini scene. But this sucker is full of classics and budding young stars. "What are you people, on dope?"

3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Yes, we all wanted Sloan, but who knew Ferris' sister could dance like that? A great Charlie Sheen cameo and Matthew Broderick at his best combine for a hall-of-fame flick.

2. Caddyshack (1980)
This might be more at home with the late-70's era, alongside Animal House, but it is in many ways the prototype for the 80's comedy. From Ty Webb to Judge Smails, the roster of characters is better-known than almost any other movie. And the lines just keep coming. "I was born to rub you...". Would be #1 except for Noonan and his annoying girlfriend.

1. Ghostbusters (1984)
The Rose Bowl, the General Motors, the gold standard. Career performances from Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd, flawless writing, effects that are aging but still hold up, and a unique story. You quote this movie all the time without even realizing it.

That's it - chime in and disagree, tell me what I missed and what doesn't belong! Coming soon, more Top Ten rankings to debate and shred.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comedies of the 80's and you missed two of the most classic: Airplane & Night Shift (classic Michael Keaton)

Rollick

JP45 said...

Hey - I mentioned Airplane! as an alternative to Spaceballs, though I find the latter funnier. Never saw Night Shift, and I don't think it ranks as a classic with my generation.

Anonymous said...

good evening fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that exact brand. The prices seeking the shoes are approximately 180 bucks on every site. But completely I bring about this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are approximately 310 bucks on every page. But finally I bring about this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging for that singular brand. The prices as regards the velcros are around 190 bucks everwhere. But for all I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging for the sake of that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were all over 180 bucks on every page. But for all I base this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you say about it?