Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it onto future generations. George Bernard Shaw

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rufus T. Firefly


Does anybody else feel like they're living in Freedonia these days? Country bankrupt, at war over false pretenses, and a leader whose primary qualification is the ability to turn the English language into something farcical.

And of course, the Bush administration summed up neatly:

Rufus T. Firefly: You're a brave man. Go and break through the lines. And remember, while you're out there risking your life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in be in here thinking what a sucker you are.

For those not conversant with the Marx Brothers and their early comedic genius, I recommend Duck Soup as your first glance, though Horsefeathers is a close second for me. A nod to my college roommate, Joel Mellin, who insisted I watch the Marx Brothers. Of course, I got him back when I insisted he watch 1776.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well...I've made my impression...guess I'm done here :)