Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it onto future generations. George Bernard Shaw

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Patriot Lames


I'll admit that was as bad as I've seen the modern, Brady-era Patriots play. It was like watching Tommy Hodson and Leonard Russell struggle through a 2-win season back in the early 90's. No run defense, no appreciable pass blocking, and no real fire. I'm hoping this was just a flat effort and not any kind of harbinger of what the 2008 season will look like.

I'll admit too that I was wishing for an earlier look at O'Connell. Cassel plays too much like Bad Bledsoe, statuesque in the pocket and mortally offended when pressured. I imagine Belichek and the staff simply aren't convinced the young man has the chops to play at this level yet.

A bright spot? Mayo is all over the field, and if Hobbs brought his kick-return energy to the defensive backfield we might have a shot at stopping someone.

No comments: